1.8.23

S is for Showerthoughts: exploration driven, organic worldbuilding

 I am currently adapting the Rules Cyclopedia Domain game to my system and setting. While discussing the topic with one of my players I had a showerthought and I think its pretty important, at least to my game.

Some background information you need to know: My current campaign has lasted for 28 sessions, and even though we are currently on a summer induced hiatus, we will resume as soon as the fall semester starts. The “plot” for the game is thus: Players start at level 1, without equipment, because they are thrown into a prison pit in the northern kingdom of my continent. There they must struggle for survival. The prison pit is populated by gangs and connected to a dungeon complex full of treasure and deadly monsters. So far no one has found an exit. The Pit itself is quite deep (900ft) and there is a camp of militarized guards at the top, that controlls supplies in and treasure out. 

If we look at the ancient texts, they suggest starting with a (safe) village, a dungeon, and a few hexes of wilderness. And as the players grow on power and start to explore more than the starter dungeon, the gamemaster builds outwards and develops the milieu in reaction to the direction the players take. But and here is my issue, even if I have metaphorically dug a deeper dungeon (by adding more floors etc. ) I have not had the opportunity to develop the area around the starting location because they are confined in a PIT. The gradual unveiling of the surrounding area is missing, and that is a shame.

I hope they find a way out soon, so that the world can be explored in a more organic manner, instead of me just prepping material that does not matter right now. (like a gigantic world map or domain rules haha)

No comments:

Post a Comment